|Signal for Lockdown||Flashing lights on ceiling beacons and pulsating alarm and a break, pulsating alarm and a break etc|
|Signal for All-clear||No flashing lights or sound|
Lock Down Procedures
As part of our Health and Safety Policies and Procedures and Emergency Planning, the school has a Lock-Down Policy.
On very rare occasions, it may be necessary to seal off the school so that it cannot be entered from the outside. This will ensure that pupils, staff and visitors are safe in situations where there is a hazard in the school grounds or outside the school in the near vicinity.
A lockdown is implemented when there are serious security risks for the premises due to, for example, nearby chemical spillage, proximity of dangerous dogs, serious weather conditions or attempted access by unauthorised person’s intent in causing harm/damage.
Notification of Lockdown
Staff will be notified that lock down procedures are to take place immediately on seeing the flashing lights from ceiling beacons and hearing sound.
Follow the Lock down procedures:
Close all windows, doors and shutters
Stay out of sight and minimise movement
Stay silent and avoid drawing attention
Endure. Be aware you may be in lock down for some time
- The above signal will activate a process of children being ushered into the designated areas of the school building as quickly as possible and the securing of all external and internal doors possible to remain safe.
- At the given signal, children are positioned away from possible sightlines from external windows/doors. Lights, Smart boards and computer monitors to be turned off.
- Children in Reception will move to the EYFS middle area
- Children in Year 1 will move to the Library
- Children in Year 2 will remain in their classrooms, seated on the floor
- Children in Year 3 will move to Class 7 next to the Courtyard
- Children in Year 4 will move to Class 8 situated next to the Library
- Children in Nursery and Year 5/6 will remain in the room they are in and the staff will ensure the windows, doors and shutters are closed
- Peekaboo will follow their own policy and have a copy of Bankfields Policy
- Any staff or children not in class for any reason will proceed to the nearest occupied classroom and remain with that class and class teacher e.g. children receiving interventions and 1:1 teaching
NO ONE SHOULD MOVE ABOUT THE SCHOOL
- Staff to support children in keeping calm and quiet.
- Staff to remain in lock down positions until the flashing lights and sound cease.
- As soon as possible after the lock down, teachers return to their classrooms and conduct a register and notify the reception immediately of any pupils not accounted for.
- School Office Staff to ensure that the safe is locked and the Police are called, if necessary.
- Caretaker, Head teacher or Office Staff lock the school’s front doors.
- Individual Teachers/TAs are to lock/close classroom door(s) and windows. Nearest adult to check exit doors.
Communication with Parents
If necessary parents will be notified as soon as it is practical to do so via the school’s website
Parents will be told:
‘…the school is in a full lockdown situation. During this period the office will be un-manned, external doors locked and nobody allowed in or out…’
Depending on the type and severity of the incident, parents may be asked NOT to collect their children from school as it may put them and their child at risk.
Pupils will not be released to parents during a lock down.
Parents will be asked not to call school as this may tie up emergency lines.
If the end of the day is extended due to the lock down, parents will be notified and will receive information about the time and place pupils can be picked up from office staff or emergency services.
A letter to parents will be sent home on the nearest possible day following any serious incident to inform parents of context of lockdown and to encourage parents to reinforce with their children the importance of following procedures in these very rare circumstances.
Lock Down Drills
Lock down practices will take place once a year to ensure everyone knows exactly what to do in such a situation. Monitoring of practices will take place and staff debriefed for positive reinforcement or to identify required improvements.
This policy and procedures will be reviewed annually as a part of the School’s Health and Safety procedures.