Welcome To Year 2
Hello and Welcome to Year 2. On this page you will find information relating to your child’s year group. We will update this information regularly with what we have all been doing in Year 2.
The Teaching Staff in year 2 are:
Miss Thompson – Year 2 teacher
Mr Andrews – Year 2 teacher
Miss Evans – Teaching Assistant
Mrs Main – Teaching Assistant
Topics we are learning about this term
Our theme for this half term is Technology Through Time.
- In geography, we will be studying Maps looking closely at compass directions, physical features and human features.
- In science, we will be studying animals and their habitats.
- Writing fables and recounts.
- In art, we will be studying seascapes by a range of artists including Turner and Van Gough.
- Our guided reading texts are Little Evie in the Wild Wood, Captain Cook and Aaargh Spider.
- In maths, we will be focusing on measurement, multiplication and division.
- In history we will be studying famous explorers.
- In DT, we will be evaluating, designing and making finger puppets.
Start Time – 8:50am Finish Time – 3:15pm
The children are able to wear their sports clothes to school on PE days. Please ensure that your child has suitable clothing for outdoor PE sessions, as we will be utilising the outdoor space as much as we possibly can. Our PE sessions will take place with Mr Andrews on a Monday afternoon.
Children will continue to have access to our specialised online learning platforms at home such as Seesaw, TT Rockstars, AR, Purple Mash and Espresso. We will remind all children of all their login details in school if required.
Reading/phonics homework and maths homework is given out on a Monday to be returned by the following Friday. We set homework on Seesaw so if you have any problems accessing this, please let us know and we will support you to access it. If you cannot use Seesaw, we will provide you with paper copies of the homework.
Your child will bring home a reading book every Monday to be returned on a Friday. We ask that you read with your child a minimum of 3 times per week. We are allowing you to keep the same book all week to enable you to read the book more than once, to discuss the themes in the book and to ask questions about the text. This will enhance your child’s reading progress.
Your child will either come home with a Sounds Write reading book or an Accelerated Reader reading book. If you child brings home an Accelerated Reader book, they need to complete a quiz online to ensure they have understood the text. You can access the quizzes using this link:
The children are aware of their logins. Everytime you read with your child, please can you sign the yellow reading record and write down the page number.